Monday, December 14, 2015

Focus

I was on my way to work today, and the song Lighthouse by my favorite band, Rend Collective came on. As I started listening to the words, I began to wonder how many Christian songs could be mistaken as or are self focused. Lines like "my lighthouse" or "you will carry me" could be taken with a focus on self. While it is important to remember what God has done, is doing, and will do in our individual lives, I think it is more important to remember that He is God, what He is doing in this world, and what He can do through us to glorify Himself. When Jesus spoke, He spoke often of the Kingdom and what it was like as what God is bringing about. When He spoke to the individual it was often to reveal who He was (miracles) and/or bring them to repentance. Yes, God does love us to the point the He died for us, but if that is where our attention ends, we are missing God and rather selfish. It is like reading Ephesians 2:8-9 and forgetting verse 10 even though it is right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment