Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tension

"The tension is so thick I could cut it with a knife!"

How many of us have heard this statement or something like it in a situation that became very uncomfortable, sometimes so quickly we do not even know quite how or why it became that way?  It has a certain physiological effect on us, and everyone in the room can feel it.  It happened not too long ago for me.  Two members of the youth group had just broken up.  It was bound to be an uncomfortable situation to begin with.  The guy was there, and I could already tell that the tension was mounting.  It became that very uncomfortable situation when the girl walked in...  with her new boyfriend.  Tense was the exact word for the predicament.  High school relationships can be like that, unfortunately.  I was very proud of one of my youth who recently said that dating in high school just was not worth it.  I could not agree more.  Dating should be looking toward marriage, and very few high school students have the maturity for that kind of commitment.  I can think of only one couple, and they are certainly the exception to the rule.  All dating in high school tends to do is break hearts and lead to uncomfortable situations like the one above.  Besides, we have enough tension in our lives as it is.

Every Christian deals with tension.  There is tension within our very nature, a tension that does not exist for the unbeliever.  For tension to exist, there has to be disagreement, a collision of opposing wills.  Within the darkness, there is no dissension.  There is no disagreement because they are all dead to the spiritual life and closed off to God, "I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died.  The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me.  For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me" (Romans 7:9-11).  Have you ever been told not to do something?  Has being told not to do something made you want to do it all the more?  That is a perfect example of sin working within you, and that is exactly the opportunity it took with the Law to trap, chain, and kill us.  This has been the case for all people since the Fall of Man, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).  So, sin has taken this opportunity within each of us, and we have all died.  Therefore, in death there was no tension.  We were all slaves to sin, and our minds were blind to the things of the Spirit.  This is what the essence of an unbeliever diagrammed:
They are dead spiritually.  They are closed off from God.  Satan, as god of this world, has taken the opportunity to blind their minds to Him, and they do not understand Him or His Word, "And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing.  In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God" (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).

So, if it was by the Law that sin took hold of us, does that make the Law wicked?  No!  That makes sin all that more wicked and deceitful.  The Law is perfect and holy.  We are the ones who are messed up until we turn to Jesus.  In Jesus, we are transformed and remade.  We are no longer blind to the spiritual life; we are made alive to it!  Our inner being is different from what it used to be:
Instead of our dead spirit, we are given the living Holy Spirit to live within us and guide us.  Jesus said, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life" (John 6:63).  Jesus later promises the Spirit to those who believe in Him, "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you" (John 14:26).


The problem that still exists is the fact that we still have the flesh.  We still have the influence of darkness upon us because Satan still exists and he is still in this world.  As we work out our salvation, we strive to close the open door of Satan's influence on us.  This will be a struggle as long as we are in this world.  Ultimately, God has already won.  He is already victorious!  Sin has no power over us and death has no sting!  When we, as believers in Jesus, physically die, we enter into eternal life.  

Believer                                                                                         

Spiritual  Life (Eph 2:4-7)  + Physical Death => Eternal Life with Christ in heaven (Rev 22:1-5)                  

Unbeliever

Spiritual Death (Eph 2:1-3) + Physical Death => Eternal Death --hell-- (2 Thes 1:8-9)

Physical death is merely the transition into what you already have for eternity.

At that point we are not only rescued from the penalty of sin, we are rescued from the very presence of sin.  We lose the ability to sin altogether, and I don't know about you but I long for this day in a way I cannot put into words.
Until then we are as Paul was when he spoke to the believers in Rome, "For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.  For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.  Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good.  So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.  For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.  Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me"  (Romans 7:14-20).  This is not an excuse.  We are responsible for every single action we do and everything we do not do.  We are given the free will by God to choose, and He has broken the chains of our slavery (see Slaves) to allow us the freedom to choose what is right.  What Paul is saying is that the influence of the flesh still exists.  However, it does not exist for him any longer, and we are being made free just as he has been made free!  Praise God and His Son, Jesus that we are free and will be made free!

No comments:

Post a Comment